Thursday, March 5, 2009

Part II - Joy To Guide

Intro: Finding Joy In The Midst Of It All
Part I: Joy to Serve


Part II: Joy To Guide

Am I the only one BUT I never dreamed how hard it would be to fulfill the role of being a M - O - M ... A MOM!!! WOW! Yet God has entrusted me (and my hubby) to guide our children.

If we are to guide our children, we need to be sure we are guided by the Lord Jesus Christ. We can't successfully, nor joyfully, guide our children by following the worlds philosphy on child rearing!

Proverbs 24:3-4 says "through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: and by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches."

When we lack wisdom, where are we to turn to? Oprah? Dr Phil? our own reasoning? Let's look at James 1:5a "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God..."

As our girls get older, I find myself going to the Lord more, seeking HIS direction in dealing with issues! When I use Scripture to base my decisions on or guidance on, that leaves no room for arguments! Who will argue with God or who should? I am still working on a little booklet for each of our girls addressing issues such as music, dress, friends, dating etc with Scripture references. This will help them as issues arise in their life.

Who do you trust in to guide you thru each day? Who do you trust in to help you guide your chilren each day?

Psalm 23:1a says "The Lord is my shepherd;"
Psalm 119:105 says "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"

We, as mothers, can't guide our children in God's direction unless we are following God ourselves. Is the Lord your shepherd? Does that verse have a personal meaning to you? Does God's Word give light for the path(s) that you take? or do you find yourself seeking guidance from outside sources that aren't biblically based?

I am thankful, even though the responsibility is beyond measure, that God has entrusted us, as parents, to guide our children. I pray, with the Lord's help, our children will remember the Godly guidance they received from their mom and dad. No, we certainly haven't been perfect in every decision but we let our girls know when we make a mistake. I John 1:9 is still in the Bible "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Part III - Joy In The Rewards

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I always enjoy your posts so much, this one touches my heart. The fact that you are making your girls a book about all the important "girl" issues with scriptures...that is a fabulous idea...who knows better what they will face and their unique personalities than their mom. Maybe you should design a kit for all mom's to use as a guide if they want to do one for their girls. If my girls weren't grown, I would certainly want help putting one together....your girls are truly blessed to have you for a Mom.

Barbara said...

I have left something for you waiting on my site. Thanks for all you share....