Friday, August 10, 2012

Being A Blessing Even In The Midst Of A Storm

When I woke up this morning, I wasn't welcomed with bright sunshine beaming through the bedroom window.  Nor do I recall hearing any birds singing.  As I began to open the blinds, I was welcomed to a cloudy, dreary, rainy, and gloomy sky!  The sun is NO where in sight for the day...thus far!  BUT...we desperately need the rain and so I must not complain.

As I began to reflect on some things our family has been facing, I was reminded that NOT every day are we going to 'welcomed' like we think we should.  We are going to be faced with days where the storm clouds of life gather and some seem to never fade away BUT just like the much needed rain, though we don't want to admit it, there are times in our life where we MUST go through a storm in order to grow and be what GOD wants us to be.

When discouragement, disappointment, despair, and even a state of depression come our way, we MUST refocus and determine to be a blessing even in the midst of a storm.  As I was having my devotional time this morning and just asking the Lord for wisdom concerning some 'storms' we are faced with, I began to think on some things we need to remind ourselves of.

1.  Look outside of YOUR problems

It is SO easy to get in a "Woe is me, myself and I" mode!  No one is facing what we're facing right now.  Why do we deserve this?  What have we done?  Why couldn't it have been someone else?  We began to feel sorry for ourselves and feel we don't deserve what has come our way (and maybe we don't deserve it) but as I was reading a book this week I came across this great thought:

           There is NOTHING--no circumstance, no trouble, no testing -- that can ever touch me    until,        first of all it has gone past God and past Christ, right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a GREAT PURPOSE, which I may not understand at the moment. But as I REFUSE to become panicky, as I lift up my eyes to HIM and accept it as coming from the throne of God for some GREAT PURPOSE OF BLESSING to my own heart, no sorrow will ever disturb me, no trial will ever disarm me, no circumstance will cause me to fret--for I SHALL REST IN THE JOY OF WHAT MY LORD IS--that is the rest of victory. (Loving God With All Your Mind...Elizabeth George)


WOW!  To know that EVERYTHING that comes our way has gone past our Heavenly Father FIRST...there must be a REAL purpose for it to pass by our way.

2.  Refuse to allow the 'little issues' of life to distract you from the MANY blessings God sends daily your way

Psalm 34:8 "O taste and see that the Lord is good:  blessed is the man that trusteth in him."

Psalm 107:8-9 "Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!  For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness."

Nahum 1:7 "The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knowth them that trust in him."

Look for the rainbow in the midst of the storm.  If a storm comes and you set your focus in one direction, you will more than likely miss the rainbow.  Sometimes rainbows are very faint and then sometimes they really stand out.  Just like the rainbow, we are so apt to have our focus on our problem that we miss the MANY blessings God sends our way each day. 

In the midst of this storm, I can still be thankful for health; strength to get up each day; my husbands job; my job that Lord has blessed me with so that I can be a stay-at-home wife/mom; our home; vehicles that get us there and back; a husband that loves me and our children; a family that loves us; food; clothing; the privilege to live in the US (though things are drastically changing we are still blessed)....we are a BLESSED family. 

I love the little saying "I am TOO blessed to be depressed"  I can definately say AMEN to that.  So focus on the many blessings you have and refuse to let the 'storms' of life distract you to the point we miss what GOD is sending your way.

3.  Put into practice Philippians 4:8

This has become my verse.  I love it.  I bring it to mind OFTEN and it's been such a blessing to me during this 'storm'.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there by any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."  Philippians 4:8 KJV

If we spend our time thinking on those things in the midst of our storm, we won't have time to focus on what the storm is all about and let it consume us and discourage us.  When I begin to think in ways that are discouraging me, I ask myself:  Is it true? honest? just? pure? lovely?  I have too many other responsibilities that are more fulfilling and rewarding in God's eyes than to dwell on things that aren't listed in this verse.

4.  Determine to keep going on for the Lord

The Christian life isn't the 'easy' road but nor is the way that satan wants us to go either.  In the end, we KNOW we are on the WINNING side and in the end...it will be worth it all when we see Jesus. 

So what storm are you in right?  Remember, to look outside of your problems and focus on the many blessings that surround you.  Make sure your thoughts on in line with Philippians 4:8  (a daily challenge for me but with the Lord's help all things are possible).  No matter how long the storm last, determine to keep goign on for the Lord. 

* Guess what?  As I concluded this devotional thought, the SUN is now shining! :-)  GOD IS GOOD!



No comments: