Sunday, May 30, 2010

Lesson From an Almost 4-year old

For some reason, our little one who is almost 4 has come up with a brilliant idea in order for us to respond to her during the hours most are enjoying a quiet, peaceful nights rest. For a while, she would loudly request more milk, or a poptart during the middle of the night...I say middle...normally it's anywhere from 1 a.m. till about 4 a.m. Here lately it's pretty much 4 a.m. Now, being the mom I sort of am in 'ignore mode' because I HAVE TO HAVE MY SLEEP. Daddy on the other hand...has a heart as soft as a teddy bear so he normally gives in to her plea ;-)

I must be honest, when she would scream or holler out "I need my tippy cup" "I need this..." I would ignore her. BUT she's caught on to a little trick that just eats her daddy's heart up...she QUIETLY and SWEETLY whispers in our ears "I want a poptart" "I want some milk" I know there is some mother out there saying, "No child needs such things during the night BUT she is our 'baby'." So if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you are done having children, you'll hopefully understand where I'm coming from :-)

The thought came to me as I've REALLY been trying to practice lowering my voice, not yelling, only speaking in a normal tone under ANY circumstance that Proverbs 15:1 really does solve a lot of issues! Proverbs 15:1 says "A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger."

Since she's started making her request made known in a soft, sweet voice, I'm more reluctant to make sure she gets her 'tippy cup'...still haven't gotten the 's' sound to work yet :-) I have found that to be true with my older girls, they may be bickering back and forth...but if I will set the example of using a soft tone of voice, they'll soon realize they need to do the same. Here lately I've found myself just breaking out in prayer when issues arise. That REALLY gets them to be quiet because I make it VERY personal. Such as "Lord, I pray you'll help ---- to keep the right attitude, to learn to get along with her sisters. To know that life isn't forever on this side of Heaven."

Isn't it amazing how just a little change...such as lowering our tone of voice or replying with a soft answer will make a situation have a totally different result in the end. Though I still fail at this from time to time, I pray the Lord will continually remind me that my response and my tone of voice will determine the outcome.

No comments: