Thursday, January 1, 2009

Some Things My Grandma Left Behind

I would like to share an article clipping that was in my grandmother's Bible. I plan to post a few more over the coming days and use these as a devotional for our Bible time with our girls this week. I believe with all my heart my grandmother followed those items I found in her Bible. I NEVER once ever heard my grandmother raise her voice, speak one unkind word, speak harshly toward anyone...she was a sweet, soft-spoken lady who I wish I could only be 1/2 of what she was. She definately was a very Godly lady. (According to the date in the Bible, she probably received it a few years before she would marry as I found many articles that had to do with young girls and marriage.

The title of the clipping is "Character"!

A good character is one of the most precious possessions a girl can have. She should hold on to it at all costs.

Reputation is what people think of us; character is what we really are. Shakespeare said, "See that your character is right, and in the long run your reputation will be right."

One should start to build a good character early in life. A recent writer said, "Character building begins in our infancy and continues until death." Character is something we have to build ourselves. We can neither inherit it nor buy it. Others may influence us, but we must do the character building. Home, school, playmates, church, and other environments have their effects upon us. We must learn to accept the good and discard the unwholesome.

THe Bible says, "Let every man take heed how he buildeth." Lewis has well said, "Character is built out of circumstances--from exactly the same materials one builds palaces while another builds hovels." Remember, you are architect of your own character.

"A good character is, in all cases, the fruit of personal excertion. It is not inherited from parents; it is not created by external advantages; it is no necessary appendage of birth, wealth, talent, or station; but it is the result of one's own endeavors--the fruit and reward of good principles manifested in a course of virtuous and honorable action".

No character can be complete without the religious element. Christ is our pattern and we must follow HIM if we are to build the best of character. We will not miss the way of good character if we hold fast to Christ and put Him first in all things.

- end of clipping

I am sure my grandma read that and I know she lived it. What a lasting legacy and what an example to follow!

1 comment:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

What a wonderful article!