Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Most Precious Christmas Gift





I would like to share with you my most precious Christmas gift...well, it wasn't actually wrapped in pretty paper, nor given to me on Christmas day, but it was in a box of stuff my mom and dad got from my grandma and grandpa's home...both are now in heaven...while going through and sorting out their things. When my mom called me and asked if there was anything I'd like to have I immediately thought, "I want one of their Bible's." I got my grandma's Bible that her father gave her back in 1940's. It is definately not in the best shape but it is filled with notes, clippings of articles concerning Biblical things...and it's filled with the same Scriptures we are reading to our children. Oh, all the other gifts I got this Christmas were special but the Bible I got from my grandma is the most precious gift and I'll always treasure it. I thought how one day...after I am gone...I pray our girls and their children will desire to get one of grandma's (me being the grandma) Bible. I want to fill it with notes, and special thoughts that have helped me out throughout the years. I can't help but think of the verse "For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." Ps. 100:5 I am so thankful that even though with time LOTS of things change...the BIBLE remains the same! The truths in this old tatered and torn Bible still remain TRUE!

1 comment:

CalvaryGirl said...

That is so sweet! To my knowledge, my grandma, the only grandparent I had a relationship with, did not have a bible. I have no doubt she is in heaven, but she was dependent on my aunt and uncle who she lived with for transportation, and they are not "church-goers". I guess you could say we are "first generation" Christians, it sure feels like it on my side.

I made it a point after we got back in church when Jackson was a baby to make the notes in the margins and date them, date it anytime I underline or highlight something, so forth- for that very reason. I want our kids to be raised in such a way that getting my bible will be a priceless possession!

Wendy
My Blog